Whenever we become serious in any field of study, we tend to seek the wisdom and guidance from one who has mastered his ‘art.’ For success depends on learning from those who have the insight and ability to guide our efforts ever-closer to our goals. This is especially true on the spiritual path. The Guru-Disciple relationship is one filled with deep inspiration, offering our lives a clear direction to focus our spiritual efforts.
Through discipleship we are able to achieve a balance of self-effort and divine grace that is essential to spiritual progress. Swami Kriyananda shares insights into the importance and practice of the Guru-Disciple relationship. Through personal stories and reflection of his experiences with Paramhansa Yogananda, he helps prepare the student for a life of discipleship to a great Yoga master. If, after completing this course, you feel ready for this level of commitment, you may receive an at-home or in-person initiation into this line of Masters of Self-Realization.
Who Is This Course For?
This course is open to anyone who is interested in learning more about the teachings of Paramhansa Yogananda, regardless of whether they are seeking discipleship at this stage of their life. It is also highly recommended for those who have already taken the step of discipleship, as it can help clarify and deepen one’s understanding of what the Guru-Disciple relationship truly means.
Live Monthly Webinars:
Live webinar presentation with ample time for questions and discussion* with Brahmachari Jitendra. First Tuesday of every month from 2:00 pm to 3:00 pm Pacific Time. Calculate your local time here.
*All webinars are recorded for later viewing.
In This Course, You’ll Also Receive:
- Six lessons designed to help guide you through the teachings of Paramahansa Yogananda on discipleship.
- Textbook (PDF format).
- Digital videos of Swami Kriyananda and course instructors.
- Interactive forums for discussion with fellow students and instructor.
- Regular, live guided meditations, satsangs and discussions online with the instructor.
- Personal support from instructor (via email, telephone or live chat).
- Certificate of Completion.
More About Course
While the material in this course is universal to all spiritual paths and traditions, we will focus on discipleship of Paramhansa Yogananda and Ananda’s spiritual lineage. If after completing this course you feel that Yogananda is your guru, you can take part in a home discipleship initiation ceremony. This course can also prepare one for an in-person ceremony at a local Ananda Center. In becoming a disciple, you will be joining thousands of other disciples worldwide who are part of Ananda.
The recommended pace of this course is one lesson per week. You will have 12 weeks to complete the seven lessons in this course. You will receive an email reminder seven days before your enrollment period expires. We offer enrollment extensions freely, so if you find you need more time to complete the course, you can let us know at email@example.com.
- Reading Assignment, Part One
- Audio Assignment: Blessings of Discipleship, Part One
- Recording: Do I need a Guru?
- Recording: Understanding the Need for a Guru
- Lesson One Quiz
- Reading Assignment, Part Two
- Audio Assignment: Blessings of Discipleship, Part Two
- The Disciple’s Part
- Lesson Two Quiz
- Reading Assignment, Part Three
- Audio Assignment: Blessings of Discipleship, Part Three
- Recording: Attunement
- Lesson Three Quiz
- Audio Assignment: Blessings of Discipleship, Part Four
- Reading Assignment, Part Four
- Recording: Life With a Master
- Lesson Four Quiz
- Audio Recording — Samadhi
- Reading Assignment, Part Five
- Audio Assignment — Blessings of Discipleship, Part Five
- Video Recording — Paramhansa Yogananda: Incarnation of Divine Love
- Lesson Five Quiz
- Reading Assignment, Part Six
- Audio Assignment — Song: O Master
- Video Recording — The Importance of Having a Guru
- Lesson Six Quiz
- Reading Assignment, Part Seven
- Lesson Seven Quiz