Ananda Meditation® Teacher Training
10-Week Online Certification Course
March 6 to May 15, 2017 • September 4 to November 13, 2017
Offered in partnership with The Expanding Light Retreat
Nursing CEU Eligible: 60 hours
Learn to share the benefits of meditation—from better health to higher consciousness—with the growing numbers of people who are hungry for them. You’ll learn how to help your students reduce stress, concentrate better, stay centered in the midst of challenges, become more effective—and above all, cultivate lasting happiness.
Ananda is known for its expertise in meditation, and for almost 40 years we’ve been training teachers in techniques grounded in the highest yogic practices of India, as brought to the West by Paramhansa Yogananda. We’re thrilled that distance education has matured to the extent that we can now offer this professional training online in a way that meets our high training standards. From personalized training to post-training support, we help you in every way to become the teacher you truly want to be.
Watch Introduction to Ananda Meditation® Training
Recorded February 27, 2017
**Payments are possible via PayPal Credit
For almost 40 years Ananda has been training teachers in techniques grounded in the highest traditions of India, as brought to the West by Paramhansa Yogananda. With that experience, we have created an online meditation teacher training that has everything our in-person training offers — and even more personal attention and guidance from faculty. Add to that regular post-training support, and you’ll have all you need to become the best teacher you can be. Comments from two recent graduates tell the story::
I was so impressed with your on-line meditation teacher class. It was the first on-line class I have ever taken because I never trusted the integrity of on-line classes, and also because I seem to learn best in the presence of others. However, after taking your training I have changed my mind.The Ananda training is highly professional, accommodates multiple learning styles, and keeps students accountable. I think the best part of it was the instructors. You all were so knowledgeable and respectful. Ananda is fortunate to have you.
— K.K., RI
I am a long-term meditator and was delighted by how much I learned and the effect of deepening my practice. The course was extremely professional and also very warm and personal. I gave a workshop on meditation towards the end of the course, and I really saw how much the course had prepared me for this and given me the confidence to do it. It was such a joy to share this wonderful technique, and I feel inspired to really go for it and do others. I got much more from the course than I had anticipated and I would highly recommend to anyone who wants to share meditation with others, or simply wants to deepen their own practice.
— N.D., England
This Online Certification Course is a permission based course. It requires that an application be filled out prior to enrollment. Upon acceptance of application, enrollment instructions will be sent to you.
You’ll receive a comprehensive course manual (in pdf format) as well as many other resources, including access to many videos. All through the course, you’ll have opportunities to ask questions of Ananda’s expert meditation teachers, both in “live” webinars and in online discussion forums..
Here are some of the topics we’ll cover:
- In-depth practice and teaching of a classical meditation technique.
- Research-proven benefits of meditation.
- Ways to overcome mental restlessness.
- How to engage the heart for deeper meditation.
- The art of walking meditation.
- How to help each student find his or her best sitting position for meditation.
- Techniques to enhance meditation: breathwork, energizing practices, chanting, affirmation, visualization.
- Helpful ways to bring individual creativity to classical meditation.
- How to help students respond to life’s challenges in positive, effective ways.
- Answers to questions often asked by new meditators.
- Secrets of becoming an effective, magnetic, inspiring teacher.
- How to organize, set up, and market your classes.
Your Course Experience
You’ll benefit from today’s best practices in online education, which will give you solid, comprehensive training in the practice and teaching of traditional meditation.
In a typical week, you will:
- Study course materials, both written and video. (The course includes more than 30 video presentations).
- Complete a self-quiz on the topics of the week. (Don’t worry: it’s designed to be a learning experience, not an exam).
- Participate in online discussion forums, in which you’ll gain valuable insights into important issues in teaching meditation.
- Complete a special assignment, such as practice teaching with a classmate via Skype, making a video of your teaching, or working on a team project. You will also have one or more webinars during the course; they will be recorded for the benefit of those who cannot participate “live."
- Practice meditation and related techniques in audio-guided sessions at least 5 days per week. (The course materials include more than 30 such sessions.)
- Respond to journaling questions about your experiences with the techniques and with teaching meditation.
Almost all course activities are asynchronous (not “live”), so you’re free to do your coursework at the times of day that are most convenient for you. (See FAQs for more details.) Expect to spend 8–10 hours per week on coursework; 2–3 of those hours will be guided meditation practice.
Graduates receive certification as Level 1 Ananda Meditation® Teachers as well as credit for certain additional trainings (see below).
Nayaswami Diksha, director of Ananda Meditation® Teacher Training, is one of Ananda’s most popular teachers. A multi-talented woman, Diksha is gifted in both intelligence and intuition. She brings nearly 20 years of experience in teaching meditation and many related subjects, and she supplements that experience with a broad array of knowledge beyond Yoga: biology, medical research, Ayurveda, counseling, even art. She is an Ananda minister, counselor, Level 2 Ananda Yoga teacher, Raja Yoga teacher, and E-RYT 500.
Co-teacher Nayaswami Gyandev also directs Ananda’s Yoga Teacher Training course as well as Ananda Yoga worldwide. Known for his clarity of presentation, deep insights, high energy, kindness and humor, Gyandev has taught meditation for nearly 30 years. He is also an Ananda minister, Level 2 Ananda Yoga teacher, Raja Yoga teacher, E-RYT 500, and a co-founder of Yoga Alliance.
Nayaswami Anandi is a long-time Ananda Meditation teacher, an Ananda minister since 1980, and a Kriyacharya (teacher of Kriya Yoga). Anandi freely shares warmth, wisdom, compassion, and joy with every student. A founding member of Ananda, she has also served as director of Ananda Palo Alto and Ananda’s membership training program.
Additional credit from this course
Continuing Education for Yoga Alliance RYT's and E-RYT's: This course offers 80 hours of continuing education credit (non-contact hours).
Ananda Yoga Therapy Training: In this Course Syllabus, certain parts apply only to those seeking certification as an Ananda Yoga Therapist.
Level 2 Ananda Yoga Teacher Training: Unlike the in-person Ananda Meditation Teacher Training, this online version does not count toward Level 2 Ananda Yoga Teacher certification, because Yoga Alliance does not yet acknowledge distance education.
Refund Policy for Ananda Meditation® Teacher Training: Cancellations before the program begins receive a full refund, less a $50 cancellation fee. Cancellations during the first week of the course receive a full refund, less a $175 cancellation fee. Cancellations after the first week of the course receive no refund.